Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Sharing Scher :: Finding A Creative Outlet

 It's not everyday we get to meet our hero. But, last week, Jen, our junior designer (pictured left), got to attend a presentation and meet one of hers! Here is a recap of her experience:

This past week I had the distinct pleasure of meeting one of my design heroes–Paula Scher. Now, I'm certain that most of you are probably unfamiliar with the name “Paula Scher”. However, if I were to name… Truvia, Bausch and Lomb, Target, Swatch, Tiffany and Co, or Citi Bank; surely some images would come to mind. Well, Scher is responsible for those brand images! That’s why I'm proud to admit that I’ve been stalking her since I was a lowly graphic design student. That being said, you can see why I was so excited to meet her. (For a second time I might add. But that’s a whole other story.)

During her presentation, Paula let us in on a little secret. She had become bored with design. BORED?! Often times I find myself frustrated with the same problem. However, until recently I honestly thought it was just a lack of my own creativity and that it made me a mediocre designer. Paula shared with us that her personal solution to this common obstacle was to find an outlet. Her outlet is painting. Why is an outlet so important? We all need time to re-charge the juices that make us best at what we do.

So what’s my creative outlet? Well, my outlet is actually not so creative. I use my free time to let my brain soak up the subconscious inspiration. I love to just be with my friends and socialize. One of my favorite things to do is “Play House.” Nothing makes me happier than to have guests over for a nice home-cooked meal or even just to be a hostess and have people in my home.  Kim (my boss for those of you who don’t know her) has a creative outlet too. She is part of an adult modern dance company–Equinox Dance. And dances and performs for several hours each weekend.

So what's your creative outlet? I'm sure you have one. It can be anything. It doesn't have to be creative. It's just something that is yours, that makes you feel relaxed and happy. Something no one can judge because it's for no one to judge. It is the key on your chain that “unlocks something inside and lets the intuitive unconscious side of you do its work”. –Paula Scher

No comments: